Kim Barker-Craven speaks from the soul with insight, passion and honesty. President and Creative Director of a boutique design agency, Kim’s strength as a thought-leader lies in engaging people to educate and inspire them in an interactive and collaborative exchange of ideas to explore what is possible.
Her key messages and position as it relates to Lymphedema and Cancer are:
Secondary Lymphedema and Cancer Survivorship
- Treating cancer patients with procedures that create a new life-threatening medical condition – Secondary Lymphedema – is not an acceptable medical outcome for Cancer Survivors
- Secondary Lymphedema needs to be acknowledged and addressed more proactively by the medical community
- Medical practitioners and students need to be taught about the Lymphatic System and the critical role it plays in our overall physical well-being
- There is an urgent need for funding for research to develop protocols for diagnosis, treatment, and prevention
Advocating for Environmental Change to Reduce the Incidence of Cancer and Lymphedema
- The alarming incidence of cancer in the world can be reduced by successfully addressing environmental issues at the local, regional, federal and global levels.
- Reducing the rate of cancer diagnosis and subsequent treatment proportionately reduces the number of people at risk for Lymphedema.
Part of the Solution for Health Care Cost Reduction
- Lymphedema is a costly, chronic ailment requiring year-round medical treatment.
- Currently, treatment for Lymphedema requires ongoing monitoring and treatment by a physician, a Certified Lymphedema Therapist (CLT) for Manual Lymph Drainage (MLD) and the use of Compression Bandages and Garments.
- When complications arise, such as Cellulitis, patients may need emergency hospitalization for intravenous antibiotic treatment.
Kim believes in the pursuit of change in the world for the common good.
To inquire about scheduling Kim Barker-Craven as a speaker, please email her here.